I have recently learnt how to both take off and put back on the new type SMEG doors fitted to the SMEG ranges. SMEG provide two ‘pins’ that fit into the holes on the hinge. I found the ones for the last one I cleaned in the warming draw of the range.
So procedure to take doors off on a SMEG A1 Range Cooker:
1. Open the door a lay it flat. The hinges are now exposed.
2. Take the two ‘pins’ and put them in the holes of the hinges. There is a hole in each hinge.
3. Take the door and go to close it and as you do the hinge will now ‘lock’ against the pins and then you will be able to take the door off out of the locating grooves.
To put the door back on:
1. Place the door so the hinges line up and then make sure that the grooves on the hinges line up properly with the brackets on the range.
2. Once they are in place you can lay the door flat and take out the pins. The door should now close properly.
I have noticed that on some ovens they have a similar hinge arrangement to the SMEG but without the holes. To get these doors off is a bit trickier, you need to use two screwdrivers to lock the hinges so that you can take the door off. And then repeat the process to put the door back on.
Graham Rogers Started OvenGleamers as one man in a van in Taunton in 2004. The business grew to a five van operation by 2007. OvenGleamers first franchisee started in October 2010. OvenGleamers Became An Associate Member of British Franchise Association in 2012. Now growing National OvenGleamers Network. OvenGleamers are AGA and Big Cooker Cleaning Specialists. Graham writes on this blog and films videos and has a podcast.