This last week has been a very hectic week. We were due to move today (Wednesday) but as BT cut our broadband off at the end of last week and then cut our phones on Monday we decided that we might as well just move all of our stuff to the new
premises. BT told us that the broadband had been switched off a week previously by mistake and that we were using the Broadband on fumes; I’m not sure how that all works. And when we told them we were going to lose a lot of money by having now phones for a few hours they told us that it was a fault on the line and they hadn’t turned our line off too soon! In all the service you get with BT depends on who you speak to; sometimes it is really poor but other times it is very good. In all we have coped with taking calls on a mobile phone and connecting our PCs to the internet using WIFI dongles. Funnily enough at one point we were getting better WI-FI connection from the bus when it was outside at the bus stop than the normal BT Open Zone. So in all although we were hopping mad with BT we did in the end take a reasonable amount of money on pre-paid bookings on the phones after they had been diverted to our mobiles, and we were able to move all the stuff in the sunshine which wouldn’t have been the case if we had done it a day later.
So at the end of the last week I moved all the bits and pieces of builders rubbish out of the new office and started getting the plaster off the floor. Then we had a cleaner in to clean all the floors on Monday and then we started moving all the desks from the old office to the new one. Then we moved the computers and phones and also got out the ‘new’ furniture we had acquired ready for the move. So new cupboards and new sofas. And we had all our new signs put up outside. We moved the ovens I use in the training kitchen to the new training kitchen.
Yesterday we had the workmen back in to finish off our electrics and finish off the new training kitchen and I spent most of the day scraping off the window graphics on the office windows, which was a really hard job – continuous scraping to get it off, it isn’t easy to get it off at all. We also moved the AGA from the old office and put it on the floor of our new office waiting for a plinth to arrive. It was a case of getting a couple of our guys to help me – they did most of the heavy lifts of the AGA bits. We are going to do a better job of setting the AGA up this time and I am therefore getting a plinth to bring it up to the right height – I’ve ordered one today I found a great deal – hopefully it arrive tomorrow and we can get the AGA into our new training kitchen.
Today we’ve got the phones back working and are just about to get the broadband sorted so we will be up an running in our new office. The office is really looking good now. So myself and my wife Catherine have our own office now. We have a reception room for potential franchisees to wait in, a new training kitchen and an area we can use as a training room and also a filming room.
Graham Rogers Started OvenGleamers as one man in a van in Taunton in 2004. The business grew to a five van operation by 2007. OvenGleamers first franchisee started in October 2010. OvenGleamers Became An Associate Member of British Franchise Association in 2012. Now growing National OvenGleamers Network. OvenGleamers are AGA and Big Cooker Cleaning Specialists. Graham writes on this blog and films videos and has a podcast.